I gave in. I had seen the whipped coffee trend explode on TikTok and Instagram right in front of my face so even though I’m not a coffee drinker I decided to give it a go. Here’s my results.
How to make TikTok’s whipped coffee
The basic recipe goes something like this
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
You place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whip away until it comes to a thick consistency. Then you scoop the whipped coffee over a glass full of cold milk. It’s that easy!
Even though this recipe is extremely basic there are some things you may not have / do not want to use and might be wondering if you can substitute.
I made quite a few of these whipped coffees in the past week substituting along the way. Here’s what I have found works best …
Ingredient 1 : Coffee
What works and what doesn’t
- Instant Coffee
- Instant Mushroom Coffee
- The ground coffee I tried which is a medium-fine ground did not work! The coffee never fully dissolved and remained gritty.
Ingredient 2 : Sugar
What works and what doesn’t
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Coconut sugar
- Liquid sweeteners like honey are ok but the consistency isn’t as thick in the end
- No sugar – the whipped coffee flops really, really quick. It just doesn’t maintain that thick fluffy texture.
Ingredient 3: Water
The type of water doesn’t matter but your water must be boiling hot to really dissolve the ingredients so don’t try to use microwaved water
You will need 3/4 glass full of your favourite hot or cold milk. Any milk will do.
Equipment : whipping apparatus
- Hand held electric mixer
- A hand frother could work
- A regular ole whisk did not work for me especially with my carpal tunnel syndrome. I gave up after a couple minutes and switched to using my hand mixer
How long does it take to make whipped coffee?
It took at least 12 minutes of whipping before mine got to a thick whipped consistency
How to drink
Whipped coffee is extremely thick so you’ll need to stir it pretty vigorously with a glass straw for it to dissolve into the cold milk.
My Upgraded Dalgona Coffee
I upgraded the basic whipped coffee recipe because there’s only one way I drink coffee and that’s with collagen and a good dose of healthy fat like MCT or coconut oil bulletproof style . Besides that I am not a big coffee drinker. I drink coffee about once a month, if that much. Coffee just doesn’t jive well with my lady hormones so I drink matcha or black tea instead.
Ingredients needed for my Upgraded Dalgona Coffee:
- instant mushroom coffee – which is a mix of organic instant coffee, Lion’s Mane, Chaga, Rhodiola Rosea – you cannot beat the quality of this coffee!
- Collagen peptides – excellent source of protein to help balance blood sugar
- coconut sugar – because it doesn’t whip well without it and for flavour of course
- boiling water
How you do it: Place coffee, collagen and sugar in a small bowl. Add sugar and whip until it comes to a thick consistency.
I did try adding MCT oil but it didn’t whip in well. The oil just sat on top of the mixture, not very appetising.
Storing Dalgona Coffee
You can make a bigger batch of this whipped coffee and store it in the fridge for up to a week. Give it a quick stir with a handheld whisk before serving to bring it back to life and you’re all set.
How does the coffee get so fluffy?
I was so curious as to how whipped coffee works and why for example matcha didn’t whip when I tried it so I got to Googling. What I found is that the secret actually lies in the instant coffee. Instant coffee is freeze dried and the freeze drying process makes the instant coffee aerated.
I’m not gonna lie, this Dalgona coffee is delicious and worth a try, at least once. Will you give my version a go?
- Add coffee, collagen and sugar to a small bowl
- Add boiling water to the bowl
- Whip until mixture is thick and creamy
- Fill a glass with your favorite milk until 3/4 full
- Spoon whipped coffee on top