This cold and flu busting elixir is one of the best home remedies for cold and flu. Step away from the NyQuil there’s a better way.
Did you know that over-the-counter meds actually suppress your immune system?
This Cold & Flu Busting Elixir on the other hand SUPPORTS your immune system. It’s your all natural ticket to relief!
Natural Remedy for Cold & Flu
When I was growing up my mom’s remedy for cold and flu was honey and lime. At the first sign of a cold, she would squeeze a lime and mix in some honey. It worked really well and tasted really good too.
I have taken mom’s homemade concoction for cold and flu as my base and turbo boosted it with some powerful antioxidants like ginger and garlic to create this Cold & Flu Busting Elixir.
When my hubby saw me making this he asked, ‘who has a cold?’ My response, ‘No one yet and I’d like to keep it that way’
How to make a homemade cold & flu remedy
This homemade remedy for cold and flu is SUPER easy to make. And it’s likely that you already have the necessary ingredients.
The only potential difficulty you might encounter in making this cold and flu busting elixir is combining the Organic Raw Honey with the citrus juices, that’s if your honey is solid at room temperature. If your honey is liquid you’re good to go.
In the case of solid honey you have two options:
- Shake it vigorously in a bottle to combine, consider it your arm workout for the day.
- Or you can cheat and give it a blitz in your blender.
What is an elixir you ask?
An elixir is a clear, sweet-flavored liquid used for medicinal purposes, to be taken orally and intended to cure one’s ills.
When to take Cold & Flu Busting Elixir
Viruses tend to spread fast so start taking this Cold & Flu Busting Elixir:
- at the first sign of a cold, whether it be a sneeze or sore throat
- if people around you at work, school or home are sick
Why this Cold & Flu Busting Elixir Works
- Honey – Not just a sweetener. Honey has powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties plus it’s one of the best natural treatments for a sore throat. Choose raw, local honey. (if you can’t have / choose not to consume honey then it may be omitted but the elixir will have quite a ‘bite’ going down)
- Ginger – Immune boosting
- Garlic – Antibacterial and Antiviral properties
- Lemon – High in Vitamin C
- Lime – High in Vitamin C
- Cinnamon – Contains large amounts of highly potent polyphenol antioxidants. May reduce inflammation, has antioxidant effects, and fights bacteria
What is the difference between a cold and flu?
According to the CDC :
The flu and the common cold are both respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses. Because these two types of illnesses have similar symptoms, it can be difficult to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. In general, flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations whereas the flu can have very serious associated complications.
Check out this handy infographic from HealthDirect Australia explaining the difference.
Kid Friendly Version of Cold & Flu Busting Elixir
No one likes having to take sick days of work. And if you’re a parent, you know that the cycle of sickness can be impossible to break.
My ten year old daughter takes this homemade remedy for a cold without issue. But if you feel there’s no way you’ll get your kiddos to do the same then here’s my advice:
- still offer them a teaspoon. With a very positive attitude I offered a spoonful to my two year old and she actually took it!
- make the elixir differently. Instead of grating the ginger and garlic you would macerate them with the back of a spoon or a knife to release their juices and leave them whole. That way there aren’t any ‘bits’ to swallow. I used to make it this way but realised consuming the garlic & ginger makes the brew even more potent.
This Cold & Flu Busting Elixir is homemade cold medicine at it’s best! Give it a try and please let me know how it goes.
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try out the recipe too.
Cold & Flu Busting Elixir
- 5 lemons juiced or limes
- ½ cup raw honey
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & grated
- 1 inch knob of ginger peeled & grated
- Combine honey with lemon and lime juice in a glass bottle. Shake vigorously or blitz in a blender.
- Grate the garlic and ginger
- Add the ginger, garlic and cinnamon stick to the honey & lemon mixture.
- Keep the elixir in the refrigerator.
- Recommended Dosage : Take a tablespoon every few hours if you're already feeling unwell. 1 Tablespoon per day if you're being pre emptive.