It’s time to mix things up! Make salads exciting, delicious and something you crave. Get creative find your flow, and this will undoubtedly be the case!
For the love of green salads…
I was never much of a veggie lover but when I moved to Spain that changed. One of the first things I noticed when dining out is that the typical Spanish meal always began with a huge mixed green salad to share. It was a custom I was quick to adopt.
Hi! Need help fixing your period?
Join the Natural Fit Foodie Community & see how easy it is to have a better period, stat!
Green Salad Health Benefits
I certainly don’t have to lecture you on the many benefits of salads. Consuming salads are an easy way to generously provide your body with a healthy dose of nutrient-packed greens and nourishing raw veggies. With so many perks all in one bowl, it’s time to re-kindle your relationship with salads and get them back on your plate.
Throwing a salad together seems simple enough but does simple mean boring? Not at all!
Here are 3 tips for making a killer mixed green salad that you will long for:
- Use ingredients that are fresh and in season. Nowadays every type of food is available at any time of the year regardless of the season but when we don’t eat what is locally grown, it weakens the body and breaks down internal systems. Take a trip to your Farmers Market or local healthy grocery store to pick up some local, fresh and in season produce, your taste buds and health will thank you.
- Mix it up. Get creative with your ingredients and play with mixing textures. Combining raw veggies with one cooked veggie can really take it up a notch. For example, roasting some broccoli, mushrooms or onions to add to your salad will add an interesting and delicious element to your plate. Don’t forget the fruit! I tend to always add berries and citrus as it makes for a refreshing summer salad and satisfies that taste for something sweet.
- Spin your greens. After you wash your greens, spinning them dry will help them not become soggy or too wet to absorb your ingredients and dressing. So break out that Salad Spinner and spin away!
In the beginning you may have to force yourself to eat more vegetables but in time your taste buds begin to change and you’ll find yourself craving them.
I know you’ll want something special to put atop that delectable salad, so here are two of my favorite easy, homemade salad dressings for you to enjoy!
What are you inspired to throw in your next salad? Are your ideas brewing already?
- 1 cup mixed leafy greens
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 1 orange or mandarin in wedges
- 2 tablespoons olives
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl