Last Updated on
Zucchini Oatmeal aka Zoats is an ingenious way to sneak a whole serving of veggies into breakfast. Amp up the nutritional value of your everyday oatmeal.
What puts the ‘Z’ in Zoats?
So glad you asked 🙂 Zoats are basically Oats with Zucchini. And while you might be thinking zucchini in oats … yuck! Let me tell you this dish is divine! Zucchini is a truly versatile fruit but if you’ve tried my Hazelnut Chocolate Zucchini Cake you would already know that.
The Health Benefits of Zucchini
Zucchini also called courgette has its origin in America and is available in yellow, light green, and dark green color. Zucchini is actually a fruit but is usually served cooked. Due to its high water percentage, zucchini is low in calories, carbs and sugars, but high in essential nutrients like potassium and antioxidants like vitamin C and Vitamin A (Source Dr Axe)
Hi! Need help fixing your period?
See how you can easily fix pain & PMS with the right foods
How to make Protein Zoats
To amp up the protein of your bowl of zoats and make it a more well rounded meal you have many options
Vegan Protein Zoats options include adding the following:
- 1 scoop of your favourite Vegan protein powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon hemp hearts
Omnivore Protein Zoats options include adding the following:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
To make overnight zoats you would simply mix all ingredients in a bowl, add it to a medium sized mason jar and store it in the fridge. The next day you may eat the overnight zoats cold or warm it through on the stovetop.
Zoats (zucchini oatmeal, gluten free, vegan)
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup grated zucchini
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 egg whites (optional omit for vegan)
- 1 heaping tablespoon collagen (optional omit for vegan)
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter healthy fats
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil healthy fats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Cook for approx 10 minutes. Add more water or milk if desired.