Have you ever done a Yoni Steam aka Vaginal Steaming? If you’re not familiar with yoni steams get ready to be wowed! Yoni steaming isn’t some kind of new fad or strange trend. Yoni steaming is THE most ancient form of female self care which serves to revitalize the uterus, for a healthier symptom free cycle.
What is a Yoni Steam?
Let’s clear up the big question that’s on your mind straight away – ‘What is a Yoni Steam?’
Simply put, a Yoni Steam is like a facial steam but for your lady parts.
Hi! Need help fixing your period?
Join the Natural Fit Foodie Community & see how easy it is to have a better period, stat!
This ancient practice involves sitting over a pot of herb infused warm water and allowing the steam to tone, soften and rejuvenate both the interior and exterior realms. Yoni steaming is a simple traditional remedy that we, modern day women, can call upon to naturally treat the root causes of the challenges associated with the menstrual cycle.
A Yoni Steam is not …
A yoni steam is NOT the same as douching. The purpose of a Yoni steam is NOT to clean your vagina. Your vagina by design isn’t dirty. That’s why I always remind women to not use soaps inside their vagina
The many names of Yoni steam
- In Western cultures it is known as Vaginal Steam , V-Steam
- The Mayans call it Bajo which means low in Spanish
- The Koreans call it Chai-Yok
- Yoni (योनि) is Sanskrit for vagina and womb, it can be translated as the origin of life and is the symbol of the Hindu Goddess Devi.
In many cultures worldwide yoni steaming has remained a well-respected ritual for supporting all aspects of women’s wellness – from the physical, to the emotional and spiritual. Yoni steaming is truly an ancient remedy that has stood the test of time.
What are the benefits of a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam?
Yoni Steams are known to:
- Reduce period pain significantly.
- Address pre and post-menstrual spotting.
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Improve fertility.
- Increase circulation and blood flow.
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after childbirth.
- Cleanse the uterine lining of old blood.
- Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
- Improve period bleeding that is brown or black in colour.
- Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy and hemorrhoids.
- Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and work to maintain healthy vaginal flora.
- Relieve symptoms of menopause including hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
Further Reading : How to Eat Right for Your Menstrual Cycle
Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam for Fertility
Yoni steaming can be used to treat unexplained infertility. Often in the case of unexplained infertility there is old residue lining the walls of the uterus which can interfere with implantation. Yoni steaming helps to clear the walls of your uterus and increases circulation of the blood. You should aim to have a clear uterine wall before you conceive.
How to do a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam at home
You can easily do your vaginal steam in the comfort of your own home, here’s how…
Prepare your at home yoni steaming station
You can either
- Use a Yoni Steam chair
- Find a suitable place where you’ll be able to squat over the pot
- Sanitise your toilet and place a stainless steel or heat safe glass bowl into the bowl of your toilet
Prepare the vaginal steam herbal infusion
- Place herbs in a tea ball
- Bring 1.5L / 6 cups water to a boil in a pot then turn off heat
- Place tea ball with herbs in the pot and cover
- Steep herbs for 10 minutes in the water
- Remove tea ball from the pot
- Remove pot from the stove and transfer the herbal infusion to your steaming station
- Disrobe from the waist down and wrap a large blanket or towel around your waist to contain the steam.
- Wear warm socks or slippers. It’s important to keep your feet warm.
- Steam your vagina for about 20 minutes.
- The steam should feel pleasant, and you’ll likely find the sensation enjoyable.
- This is a great time to relax. You can write in a journal, listen to a guided meditation or set some intentions for yourself.
- Once the time has passed try to remain wrapped and lie down for a nap. Remember that yoni steaming is a form of self care so don’t rush it!
How often should I do a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam?
Yoni steams can be done two to three times per month (except while menstruating). As you begin to incorporate yoni steaming into your self care routine, you’ll notice a powerful reconnection with your womb and a more pleasant and regulated menstrual cycle.
Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam precautions
Are there any drawbacks to yoni steaming/vaginal steaming?
Yoni steaming is an age-old remedy that has been tested and proven by generations before us and there aren’t many drawbacks to a yoni steam providing you follow a few simple precautions.
Do NOT try a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam if you:
- are pregnant or there is a chance that you’re pregnant
- are menstruating
- have any sort of infection
- have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- have any open cuts, wounds, stitches and or sores
- Always be sure the steam temperature is mild so as to avoid scalding.
- If you have genital piercings remove them prior to steaming because they may heat and possibly cause burning.
- Do NOT use essential oils for steaming.
- Be aware that your first cycle after steaming may be heavier and darker, this is a sign that your body had to purge all that “excess” out before it can feel light and healthy!
As long as you are aware of all of the above, yoni steaming is a safe and effective holistic health treatment.
My personal experience with a DIY Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam
After trying a Yoni Steam at home for the first time I was hooked. I have since incorporated yoni steams into my Luteal Phase self care and there’s no turning back.
Here’s how I go about my DIY Yoni Steam : Since I do not yet own a Yoni steam seat I placed a stainless steel bowl with my herb tea into the bowl of my toilet. NOT very glamorous but I still made it a luxurious experience by diffusing my favorite essential oils, playing some calming music and reading a good book.
When the steam first hit me I felt like I needed to pee but that feeling quickly subsided. Afterwards it felt like a soothing warm bath, internally. There wasn’t any immediate change, I just felt really relaxed, you know, like I had just been for a massage.
My period following the steam was different though. The blood color was bright and just fresh looking and has been ever since.
What herbs to use for Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam
You can experience the benefits of a Yoni Steam without the use of herbs. It is the steam that is truly powerful and has the potential to bring you relief. The herbs are simply the icing on the cake and offer additional healing properties.
That said I have included a universal herbal blend recipe that should work for all women. You can find it in the recipe card below.
Please note that it is not within my scope of practice as a Health Coach to give recommendations for specific conditions.
List of Yoni Steam herbs and benefits
There are so many herbs that you can use for all-around yoni health and preventative care that it would be impossible to list them all. To help you get started I will list a variety of herbs by category, so that you can easily create your very own yoni steam herbal blend at home.
Previously I recommended using 1 cup of herbs per Yoni Steam session but I have recently learned that the same benefits can be achieved using much less herbal matter. The measurements given below are for one Yoni steam session.
Cleansing herbs are emmenagogue in nature. These herbs increase blood circulation within the reproductive organs and address stagnation. They assist in toning the pelvic floor, healing vaginal scars and may reduce hemorrhoids.
Use ½ teaspoon in total. Too much of a cleansing herb can bring on the period early.
Cleansing herbs include
Disinfecting herbs are antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, astringent, tightening and anti-inflammatory in nature. These herbs help to clear heat, expel toxicity and reduce inflammation. They protect cells from damage by free radicals and may prevent cancer cells from replicating as well as halt tumors from growing.
Use ½ teaspoon in total
Disinfecting herbs include
Blood Tonic Herbs
Blood tonic herbs provides nutrients such as iron and B-vitamins to build back up blood after menstruating & avoid anemia.
Use 2 teaspoons in total
Blood tonic herb includes
Uterine Tonic Herbs
A uterine tonic herb stabilizes and supports the uterus, purifies the blood and promotes healing after uterine surgery
Use 1 teaspoon in total
So what do you think? Will you give vaginal steaming a try?
For further education on this topic please take time to listen to the following podcasts :
Fertility Friday Podcast with Dr Rosita Arvigo. Dr Arvigo is a Doctor of Naprapathy, an herbalist, an international lecturer, and an author and teacher of Maya medicine.
The Heavy Flow Podcast with Keli Garza owner of Steamy Chick the home of all things vaginal steaming
This information is not a claim to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or injury. Nor is it a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional. If you are interested in a yoni steam for a chronic condition, I recommend you consult a naturopath or herbalist to get the best herb combination for you.
Please share this wisdom with our sisters far and wide!
The following recipe is a combination of herbs which are beneficial for all-around yoni health and preventative care.
Combine herbs in a tea ball.
You may also times herbs x 10 and store in a clean glass jar for future steams.