Have you ever done a Yoni Steam aka Vaginal Steaming? If you’re not familiar with yoni steams get ready to be wowed! Yoni steaming isn’t some kind of new fad or strange trend. Yoni steaming is THE most ancient form of female self care which serves to revitalize the uterus, for a healthier symptom free cycle.
What is a Yoni Steam?
Let’s clear up the big question that’s on your mind straight away – ‘What is a Yoni Steam?’
Hi! Need help getting your hormones back on track?
Get my guidance & see how easy it is to experience symptom free menses when you join the Natural Fit Foodie Community NOW!
Simply put, a Yoni Steam is like a facial steam but for your lady parts.
This ancient practice involves sitting over a pot of herb infused warm water and allowing the steam to tone, soften and rejuvenate both the interior and exterior realms. Yoni steaming is a simple traditional remedy that we, modern day women, can call upon to naturally treat the root causes of the challenges associated with the menstrual cycle.
A Yoni Steam is not …
A yoni steam is NOT the same as douching. The purpose of a Yoni steam is NOT to clean your vagina. Your vagina by design isn’t dirty. That’s why I always remind women to not use soaps inside their vagina
The many names of Yoni steam
- In Western cultures it is known as Vaginal Steam , V-Steam
- The Mayans call it Bajo which means low in Spanish
- The Koreans call it Chai-Yok
- Yoni (योनि) is Sanskrit for vagina and womb, it can be translated as the origin of life and is the symbol of the Hindu Goddess Devi.
In many cultures worldwide yoni steaming has remained a well-respected ritual for supporting all aspects of women’s wellness – from the physical, to the emotional and spiritual. Yoni steaming is truly an ancient remedy that has stood the test of time.
What are the benefits of a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam?
Yoni Steams are known to:
- Reduce period pain significantly.
- Address pre and post-menstrual spotting.
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Improve fertility.
- Increase circulation and blood flow.
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after childbirth.
- Cleanse the uterine lining of old blood.
- Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
- Improve period bleeding that is brown or black in colour.
- Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy and hemorrhoids.
- Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and work to maintain healthy vaginal flora.
- Relieve symptoms of menopause including hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
Further Reading : How to Eat Right for Your Menstrual Cycle
Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam for Fertility
Yoni steaming can be used to treat unexplained infertility. Often in the case of unexplained infertility there is old residue lining the walls of the uterus which can interfere with implantation. Yoni steaming helps to clear the walls of your uterus and increases circulation of the blood. You should aim to have a clear uterine wall before you conceive.
How to do a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam at home
It’s easy for you to do a yoni steam at home. Here’s how :
DIY Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam Step by Step
- Steep approximately 1 heaping cup of dry yoni steaming herbs in a pot of hot water for 10 minutes. Pour into a heat-safe bowl.
- Allow the herbal water to cool for 5 minutes to ensure the steam temperature is mild, so as to avoid burns.
- Disrobe from the waist down and wrap a large blanket or towel around your waist to contain the steam.
- Wear warm socks or slippers. It’s important to keep your feet warm.
- Find a quiet place to relax with the steam below your yoni (vagina) for about 20 minutes. Either squat over the bowl, place the bowl into the bowl of your toilet or buy yourself a Yoni Steam chair
- The steam should feel pleasant, and you’ll likely find the sensation enjoyable.
- This is a great time to relax. You can write in a journal, listen to a guided meditation or set some intentions for yourself.
- Once the time has passed, remain wrapped and lie down for at least an hour. Remember that yoni steaming is a form of self care so don’t rush it!
How often should I do aYoni Steam / Vaginal Steam?
Yoni steams can be done two to three times per month (except while menstruating). As you begin to incorporate yoni steaming into your self care routine, you’ll notice a powerful reconnection with your womb and a more pleasant and regulated menstrual cycle.
Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam precautions
Are there any drawbacks to yoni steaming/vaginal steaming?
Yoni steaming is an age-old remedy that has been tested and proven by generations before us and there aren’t many drawbacks to a yoni steam providing you follow a few simple precautions.
Do NOT try a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam if you:
- are pregnant or there is a chance that you’re pregnant
- are menstruating
- have any sort of infection
- have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- have any open cuts, wounds, stitches and or sores
Further precautions :
- Always be sure the steam temperature is mild so as to avoid scalding.
- If you have genital piercings remove them prior to steaming because they may heat and possibly cause burning.
- Do NOT use essential oils for steaming.
- Be aware that your first cycle after steaming may be heavier and darker, this is a sign that your body had to purge all that “excess” out before it can feel light and healthy!
As long as you are aware of all of the above, yoni steaming is a safe and effective holistic health treatment.
My personal experience with a DIY Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam
After trying a Yoni Steam at home for the first time I was hooked. I have since incorporated yoni steams into my Luteal Phase self care and there’s no turning back.
Here’s how I go about my DIY Yoni Steam : Since I do not yet own a Yoni steam seat I placed a stainless steel bowl with my herb tea into the bowl of my toilet. NOT very glamorous but I still made it a luxurious experience by diffusing my favorite essential oils, playing some calming music and reading a good book.
When the steam first hit me I felt like I needed to pee but that feeling quickly subsided. Afterwards it felt like a soothing warm bath, internally. There wasn’t any immediate change, I just felt really relaxed, you know, like I had just been for a massage. My period following the steam was different though. The blood color was bright and just fresh looking and has been ever since.
What herbs to use for Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam
The following herbs are beneficial for all-around yoni health and preventative care. Combine one handful of each of DRIED herbs in a large bowl to make your yoni steam herbal blend. Store in a clean glass jar. It is advisable to use dried herbs for your yoni steam because they are much more potent than fresh. If using fresh herbs you’ll want to use four times the amount of herbs.
List of Yoni Steam herbs and benefits
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) – increases circulation within the reproductive organs.
- Rosemary – protects cells from damage by free radicals and toxins. May prevent cancer cells from replicating and halts tumors from growing. Stops hair loss.
- Red Raspberry Leaf – Uterine tonic which soothes cramps, purifies the blood and promotes healing after uterine surgery
- Calendula/ English Marigold (Calendula officinalis) – promotes the healing of perineum and vaginal tissues.
- Lavender & Chamomile – help with stress reduction, deep relaxation, and may soothe menstrual cramps by helping the uterus muscles to relax.
- Rose Petals – assists in toning the pelvic floor, healing vaginal scars and may reduce hemorrhoids.
So what do you think? Will you give vaginal steaming a try?
For further education on this topic please take time to listen to this Fertility Friday Podcast with Dr Rosita Arvigo. Dr Arvigo is a Doctor of Naprapathy, an herbalist, an international lecturer, and an author and teacher of Maya medicine.
This information is not a claim to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or injury. Nor is it a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional. If you are interested in a yoni steam for a chronic condition, I recommend you consult a naturopath or herbalist to get the best herb combination for you.
Please share this wisdom with our sisters far and wide!