Last Updated on
Have you ever done a Yoni Steam aka Vaginal Steaming? If you’re not familiar with yoni steams get ready to be wowed! Yoni steaming isn’t some kind of new fad or strange trend. Yoni steaming is THE most ancient form of female self care which serves to revitalize the uterus, for a healthier symptom free cycle.
First things first …
If you are having issues with your menstrual cycle or with your vagina then first and foremost you need to understand how to treat the root cause.
You might be surprised to learn that in the long run a better, more peaceful and predictable flow actually starts with something you’re probably not even thinking about…
The trillions of invisible microorganisms living in and on you
In the case of your vagina – a balanced vaginal microbiome i.e. the microorganisms which populate the vagina is especially important for reducing the risk of miscarriage, infertility, bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections.
A diet that is varied and nutritionally balanced for your menstrual cycle can improve the vagina eco-system proving that you really are what you eat!
Certain strains of bacteria, taken orally also seem to provide the most benefit in keeping a healthy vaginal microbiome. So if you wish to truly address the root cause of your vag issues take a close look at your diet and consider taking the right female probiotic.
What is a Yoni Steam?
Let’s clear up the big question that’s on your mind straight away – ‘What is a Yoni Steam?’
Simply put, a Yoni Steam is like a facial steam but for your lady parts.
This ancient practice involves sitting over a pot of herb infused warm water and allowing the steam to tone, soften and rejuvenate both the interior and exterior realms. Yoni steaming is a simple traditional remedy that we, modern day women, can call upon to naturally treat the root causes of the challenges associated with the menstrual cycle.
A Yoni Steam is not …
A yoni steam is NOT the same as douching. The purpose of a Yoni steam is NOT to clean your vagina. Your vagina by design isn’t dirty. That’s why I always remind women to not use soaps inside their vagina
The many names of Yoni steam
- In Western cultures it is known as Vaginal Steam , V-Steam
- The Mayans call it Bajo which means low in Spanish
- The Koreans call it Chai-Yok
- Yoni (योनि) is Sanskrit for vagina and womb, it can be translated as the origin of life and is the symbol of the Hindu Goddess Devi.
In many cultures worldwide yoni steaming has remained a well-respected ritual for supporting all aspects of women’s wellness – from the physical, to the emotional and spiritual. Yoni steaming is truly an ancient remedy that has stood the test of time.
What are the benefits of a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam?
Yoni Steams are known to:
- Reduce period pain significantly.
- Address pre and post-menstrual spotting.
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Improve fertility.
- Increase circulation and blood flow.
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after childbirth.
- Cleanse the uterine lining of old blood.
- Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
- Improve period bleeding that is brown or black in colour.
- Relieve symptoms of menopause including hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
Further Reading : How to Eat Right for Your Menstrual Cycle
How to do a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam at home
You can easily do your vaginal steam in the comfort of your own home, here’s how…
Prepare your at home yoni steaming station
For your DIY Yoni Steam station you have three very good options
- Use a Yoni Steam chair and place a bowl under it
- Use a steel beverage tub which you will squat over
- Sanitise your toilet and place a steel sitz bath or heat safe bowl into the bowl of your toilet
Prepare the vaginal steam herbal infusion
- Place herbs in a tea ball
- Bring 1.5L / 6 cups water to a boil in a pot then turn off heat
- Place tea ball with herbs in the pot and cover
- Steep herbs for 10 minutes in the water
- Remove tea ball from the pot
- Remove pot from the stove and transfer the herbal infusion (tea) to your steaming station ie pour the infusion into a bowl for placing under your steam chair, or into your beverage tub or into your sitz bath in your toilet.
Perform the Yoni Steam (the safe way)
Test the steam heat level
You should always test the heat level before sitting over the steam. To do this, place your palm over the steam, it should feel pleasant, like a warm bath. If it’s not allow it to cool down. Once the temperature is satisfactory proceed with your steam.
- Disrobe from the waist down and wrap a large blanket or towel around your waist to contain the steam.
- Wear warm socks or slippers. It’s important to keep your feet warm.
- Steam your yoni for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.
- Stay hydrated. Have a drink of water before, during and after your steam.
What to do while you steam
This is a great time to relax so you might consider …
- Writing in a journal
- listening to a guided meditation
- Setting some intentions for yourself.
- Once the time has passed try to remain wrapped and lie down for a nap. Remember that yoni steaming is a form of self care so don’t rush it!
How often should I do a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam?
Yoni steams can be done two to three times per month (except while menstruating). As you begin to incorporate yoni steaming into your self care routine, you’ll notice a powerful reconnection with your womb and a more pleasant and regulated menstrual cycle.
Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam for Fertility
Yoni steaming may be used to treat unexplained infertility. Often in the case of unexplained infertility there is old residue lining the walls of the uterus which can interfere with implantation. Yoni steaming can help to clear the walls of your uterus and increases circulation of the blood.
Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam precautions
Yoni steaming is an age-old remedy that has been tested and proven by generations before us and there aren’t many drawbacks to a yoni steam providing you follow a few simple precautions.
Do not try a Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam on your own if you:
- are pregnant or there is a chance that you’re pregnant
- are menstruating
- have any sort of infection
- have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- have any open cuts, wounds, stitches and or sores
- have any chronic reproductive condition
Further precautions when yoni steaming
- Always be sure the steam temperature is mild so as to avoid scalding.
- If you have genital piercings remove them prior to steaming because they may heat and possibly cause burning.
- Do NOT use essential oils for steaming.
- Be aware that your first cycle after steaming may be heavier and darker, this is a sign that your body had to purge all that “excess” out before it can feel light and healthy!
My personal experience with a DIY Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam
After trying a Yoni Steam at home for the first time I was hooked. I have since incorporated yoni steams into my Luteal Phase self care and there’s no turning back.
Here’s how I go about my DIY Yoni Steam : Since I do not yet own a Yoni steam seat I placed a stainless steel bowl with my herb tea into the bowl of my toilet. NOT very glamorous but I still made it a luxurious experience by diffusing my favorite essential oils, playing some calming music and reading a good book.
When the steam first hit me I felt like I needed to pee but that feeling quickly subsided. Afterwards it felt like a soothing warm bath, internally. There wasn’t any immediate change, I just felt really relaxed, you know, like I had just been for a massage.
My period following the steam was different though. The blood color was bright and just fresh looking and has been ever since.
What herbs to use for Yoni Steam / Vaginal Steam
You can experience the benefits of a Yoni Steam without the use of herbs. It is the steam that is truly powerful and has the potential to bring you relief. The herbs are simply the icing on the cake and may offer additional healing properties.
That said I have included a universal herbal blend recipe that should work for women WITHOUT any present chronic condition. You can find it in the recipe card below.
Please note that it is not within my scope of practice as a Health Coach to give recommendations for specific conditions. Seek the advice of a naturopath or herbalist.
List of Yoni Steam herbs
The following herbs can be used for all-around yoni health and preventative care. Again if you wish to treat a specific condition I recommend you consult a naturopath or herbalist to get the best herb combination for you.
So what do you think? Will you give vaginal steaming a try?
For further education on this topic please take time to listen to the following podcasts :
Fertility Friday Podcast with Dr Rosita Arvigo. Dr Arvigo is a Doctor of Naprapathy, an herbalist, an international lecturer, and an author and teacher of Maya medicine.
The Heavy Flow Podcast with Keli Garza owner of Steamy Chick the home of all things vaginal steaming
The information shared in this article is based upon my own experience and what I have been taught through the Peristeam Hydrotherapy Institute. This information is not a claim to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or injury. Nor is it a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional. If you are interested in a yoni steam for a chronic condition, I recommend you consult a naturopath or herbalist to get the best herb combination for you.
DIY Yoni Steam Herbs Recipe
- Combine herbs in a tea ball.
- You may also times herbs x 10 and store in a clean glass jar for future steams.