Hot Cross Buns Recipe (gluten free, egg free, vegan)
These gluten free, vegan hot cross buns are soft and fluffy: You’ve gotta try this healthy version of everyone's favourite Easter treat!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 cup gluten free brown rice flour
- ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup sweet rice flour also called glutinous rice flour or mochiko
- 2 tablespoons flax meal egg replacement
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup warm milk of choice it helps to deepen the flavor and produces a crusty outer layer
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoons liquid coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of one orange or lemon
For the cross
- 4 tbsp sweet rice flour also called glutinous rice flour or mochiko
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Enough water to make a sticky paste. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time
You may also use melted coconut butter for the cross 'icing'
Preheat oven to 350F/ 175ºC and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients.
Mix to combine.
Scoop out a golf ball sized amount of dough and roll into a ball with your hands. Place balls onto baking sheet.
Press a little cross on top of each bun with the tip of a blunt knife. DO NOT make the same mistake as myself and cut into the dough too deep.
Mix the ingredients for the cross together in a small bowl. Pipe out crosses on each bun.
Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 30 minutes
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.