Hungarian Hangover soup (Korhelyleves)
This Hungarian Hangover Soup promises to bring you luck in the new year and cure your hangover!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- ¾ cup sauerkraut
- 2 cups liquid from sauerkraut
- 1 cup bone broth or water
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup smoked ham diced
- ¼ cup chorizo finely chopped
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or lard
- 1 teaspoon smoked Hungarian paprika
- pinch of black pepper
Melt the butter or lard in a medium pot.
Add onions, paprika, smoked ham and chorizo to pot.
Saute until onions are soft. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Add the sauerkraut and its liquid along with water and sour cream to the pot.
When the liquid is hot add the onion, ham, chorizo mixture to the pot.
Remove from heat.