This Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is the perfect example of how you can enjoy your holiday favourites without falling off the healthy bandwagon. If you’re going to indulge why not indulge healthfully?
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate for a healthier holiday
If you’re trying to clean up your diet and embrace a healthy lifestyle the holidays can be challenging. Food is the name of the game this time of year and to be quite honest – there is no reason you shouldn’t enjoy your favourite holiday meals and treats.
With a few tweaks you can adapt just about any recipe so they fall in line with your health goals.
What is it about Hot Chocolate…
Hot chocolate is probably the most popular holiday drink. And for good reason. Hot chocolate is rich, decadent and brings with it a feeling of warmth and coziness that we crave during the holidays.
This Red Velvet Hot Chocolate came about when I added cocoa to my Beet Latte one day. It was love at first taste.
How to make a healthy (hormone balancing) Red Velvet Hot Chocolate
Step 1) To start off you will need a simple 3 ingredient homemade hot chocolate mix like this one.
Step 2 ) You will also need dairy free milk and beetroot. Beetroot is what will give this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate it’s gorgeous red color, NOT food coloring.
No beetroot? – You could also use Acai powder in a pinch 🙂
Step 3 ) To boost the nutrition profile of this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate you will need a few superfoods but don’t stress if you don’t have / can’t find these as the hot chocolate is just as tasty without them.
Healthy Holidays Survival Guide
The holiday season tends to be a little more stressful, action-packed and tiring than the rest of the year, so to help make this holiday season fit and festive I’ve rounded up my best tips.
- Don’t go to holiday events hungry. Snacking on nuts, raw vegetables or a salad before you leave will help you from overfilling your plate.
- If you’re at a buffet, scope out your options before filling your plate. Enjoy only your favorites instead of piling on every delicious looking treat. Be mindful of your goal at all times and think about how the future you will feel if you over indulge.
- Make sure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day. Staying hydrated will help combat stress and boost your immune system.
- Make sure you are starting your day with a healthy, hearty breakfast. Fueling yourself with healthy foods will keep your energy levels stable throughout the day and keep the cravings at bay.
- Put your fork down in between bites and savor your food. Thoroughly chewing each bite helps your digestion. Not to mention, it’s much more pleasant experience when you eat mindfully.
At the end of it all, don’t be afraid to enjoy a treat and don’t attach guilt to foods. The ‘all or nothing’ mindset has no place in a healthy lifestyle.
Make healthy choices, eat real food and don’t beat yourself up over a slice of cake.
So tell me, what’s your favourite holiday treat? You know the one you look forward to having all year…
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup coconut milk or other milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon homemade hot chocolate mix or 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon Beetroot powder or 1 small cooked beet
- 1 teaspoon collagen peptides - healthy protein (omit for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon MCT oil - healthy fat
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Warm coconut milk on the stovetop
- Add all dry ingredients to a blender
- Add warm milk to blender
- Blend for a couple minutes until nice and frothy
- Pour into cup
- Sprinkle on beet powder and cinnamon for garnish