Last Updated on
These Quinoa Falafel Patties are gluten free, vegan and packed with protein!
Back when we lived in Budapest one of our favourite eateries was Hummus Bar a Middle Eastern ‘fast food’ chain. If you’re a regular reader of Natural Fit Foodie then you know that my husband and I take great delight in eating out and trying different cuisines.
Luckily, my daughter is just like us and has an extremely adventurous palate. I have breast milk to thank for that. Recent research shows that early breast-milk experiences help infants develop their own personal taste preferences, as well as increase their enjoyment of particular flavors. Researchers believe that the types and intensity of flavors experienced in breast milk may be unique for each infant and serve to identify the culture to which the child is born.
Hi! Need help fixing your period?
See how you can easily fix pain & PMS with the right foods
Well I can truly say my daughter experienced a whole lotta cultures through breastfeeding.. 🙂
Since moving to Spain our choice for international cuisine has been somewhat limited. I have been producing more and more foods in my home kitchen that I once only consumed in a restaurant. Like these quinoa falafel patties.
Quinoa Falafel Patties
I was in the mood for falafel one day so I got cracking. After a quick google search and realizing that falafel was just basically chickpeas and spices I knew I had to put my spin on it. Enter quinoa. Quinoa is a truly versatile pseudocereal . Like buckwheat , quinoa has an excellent amino acid profile, it contains all nine essential amino acids making it a complete-protein source, quinoa is also a very good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese.
Fun Fact – The UN named 2013 ‘International Quinoa Year’ in recognition of the crop’s high nutrient content.
These Quinoa Falafel patties really hit the spot. My family has enjoyed them with hummus, avocado and pita bread. Give them a try, they’re perfect for Meatless Monday or any day really.. 😉
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try out the recipe too.
You may also like this
Quinoa Falafel Patties
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 flax or chia eggs 2 tablespoons ground flax/ chia seeds with 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon baharat spice optional
- salt paprika, black pepper to taste
- coconut oil for pan frying
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200ºC
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make flax/chia eggs by combining 2 tablespoons ground flax/chia seeds with 6 tablespoons water. Set aside to thicken.
- Process chickpeas in a food processor until broken down but not mushy.
- Add all remaining ingredients along with flax eggs and pulse until combined.
- Place mixture in a large bowl and add flour. Mix well.
- Shape mixture into ¼ cup patties with wet hands. Pack tightly so they hold together better. Place on baking sheet.
- Fry each patty in coconut oil about 3-5 minutes on each side then transfer to oven to cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with greek yogurt tahini dip, hummus and avocado.