A refreshing combination of pink grapefruit, lime and mint. This Pink Grapefruit Virgin Mojito is sure to hit the spot this summer!
Summer is in full swing here in Spain with most days reaching temperatures of 35ºC plus. I usually drink at least 3 litres of water per day alongside a flask or two of herbal tea but on these hot days I can’t seem to bring myself to drink hot tea.
How the Pink Grapefruit Virgin Mojito was born…
Last week my family had lunch at one of our favorite restaurants. Given that I am the designated driver in our family I opted for a virgin mojito while hubby sipped on a caipirinha.
The mocktail tasted quite authentic (which actually surprised me) and I became inspired to make the mojito at home.
How to make a Mojito without alcohol
Making a virgin mojito is pretty easy, you simply make a traditional mojito and leave out the alcohol. So your next question may be ok so how do you make a traditional mojito?
How to make a traditional mojito Cuban style
Traditionally a mojito consists of the following ingredients
- White rum
- Sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice)
- Lime juice
- Soda water
- Mint (spearmint or yerba buena)
According to Wikipedia here’s how to prepare this popular summer drink
- Add lime juice to the sugar and mint leaves.
- Gently mash the mixture with a muddler to release the essential oils from the mint
- Add rum (omit for mojito mocktail) and stir to dissolve the sugar
- Top with crushed ice and sparkling soda water
- Garnish with mint leaves and lime wedges
Pink Grapefruit Health Benefits
Pink grapefruit is an abundant source of Vitamin C and A. The rich pink and red colors of grapefruit are due to lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient. (PLEASE NOTE: Lycopene is only found in pink and red grapefruit. White grapefruit does not provide this carotenoid.) Source WHFoods
Coincidentally I’ve been a little obsessed with pink grapefruits lately so I decided to combine my 2 latest loves into this one super duper refreshing Pink Grapefruit Mojito Mocktail.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
What’s your favourite cocktail?
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try out the recipe too.
Pink Grapefruit Virgin Mojito
- 1/2 cup sparkling water or soda water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 lime sliced
- 2 large ice cubes
- Muddle the sugar, mint and lime in the bottom of a glass with the end of a wooden spoon (I use a wooden pestle) until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the grapefruit juice, and stir together. Top up the glasses with sparkling water or club soda and one or two large ice cubes.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of mint leaves and slices of lime.