This Macadamia Cashew Yogurt could be the dairy free yogurt recipe you’ve been searching for. With just simple ingredients and no fancy equipment you might be left wondering – where has this been my whole life?!
An easy dairy free yogurt recipe for the win!
This Macadamia Cashew Yogurt came about not too long after I started making Coconut Yogurt
Once I had basically perfected that recipe I was up for another dairy free yogurt challenge.
Macadamias had worked so well in my dairy free coffee creamer recipe that I decided to give it a go and here we are with a thick, rich and creamy Macadamia Cashew Yogurt that will delight your taste buds!
The benefits of this Macadamia Cashew Yogurt
Besides the fact that this Macadamia Cashew Yogurt is 100% dairy free it’s also loaded with probiotics which is crucial for optimal gut health.
More than 2000 years ago, Hippocrates, the father of medicine, proclaimed that all disease begin in the gut. Of course, he was way ahead of his time, and not many in those days understood or appreciated what he meant.
But modern research has proved just how right he was, revealing that gut health is critical to general good health.
How to make a dairy free yogurt
Making dairy free yogurt isn’t hard at all. In the case of this Macadamia Cashew Yogurt all you need is nuts and a probiotic capsule with vanilla bean as a natural flavour enhancer.
Why go dairy free?
If you’re a woman who struggles with her menstrual cycle in any way you’ll want to consider going dairy free. Let me explain why…
The problem with dairy and your menstrual cycle
If you have a dairy sensitivity and you continue to consume dairy products this lends itself to chronic inflammation in your body. And chronic inflammation is like fuel to period problems such as period pain, PMS, acne, Endometriosis and heavy periods.
What exactly could I be sensitive to in dairy anyways?
The issue with dairy isn’t the lactose (although some folks are intolerant to lactose) but the A1 casein. For some of us A1 casein – like gluten – is inflammatory because it stimulates the immune system to generate inflammatory cytokines .
A1 casein is found only in milk from Holstein cows which are the predominant dairy herds in the USA, Canada, UK and Australia. There is little to no A1 casein in goats, sheep or Jersey cows milk which is why some people , including myself can tolerate those.
Also, it should be noted that there is little casein in cream, butter or ricotta cheese.
How do I know if I have a dairy sensitivity?
A dairy sensitivity is very different to a milk allergy and there’s no real way to test for it other than an elimination diet.
Basically you would eliminate dairy for at least 30 days then re-introduce it to see how your body responds. If you find that you do have a problem with dairy don’t despair, there are many non dairy alternatives you can enjoy.
- Homemade Nut Milk
- Creamy Dairy Free Macadamia Coffee Creamer
- Homemade Coconut Yogurt
- Homemade Macadamia Cashew Yogurt
Macadamia Cashew Yogurt (Paleo, Vegan, Keto)
- 1 cup water , plus more for soaking if you have a powerful blender you might get away with using just 1/2 or 3/4 cup water which will yield a thicker Greek style yogurt
- 1 cup Macadamia Nuts
- ½ cup Cashews
- 1 Probiotic capsule
- 1 vanilla bean
- Soak nuts in water overnight or a minimum of 6 hours
- Drain nuts and rinse under clean water
- Add drained nuts & 1 cup filtered water to your blender and blend until nice and smooth with no lumps
- Scoop yogurt out into a clean glass jar
- Open up probiotic capsule and add its contents to blended nuts, stir with a non metal spoon to combine (metal is known to 'kill off' probiotics)
- Cover with cheesecloth or clean paper towels secured with elastic bands
- Place in a cool shady spot for 24 hours to ferment
- After 24 hours taste test
- If yogurt is nice and tangy and you’re happy with the taste it’s time to flavour it
- Slice open the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds / vanilla bean caviar
- Mix the vanilla bean seeds into the yogurt
- Cover jar with a lid and place in the fridge
- Enjoy with Chia Seed Jam or plain