Last Updated on
Temperatures are warming up and the first signs of Spring are finally here. Springtime brings with it ideas of rebirth, rejuvenation and renewal. That’s just what this Lemon Sugar Scrub can do for your skin. I guarantee it will have you feeling like a new person!
I keep a bottle of white sugar at the back-end of my pantry. The only time it comes out to play is when I make a sugar scrub and kombucha.
Lemon Sugar Scrub benefits
- Sugar – removes dead skin cells.
- Baking soda – removes excess dirt and exfoliates.
- Coconut oil hydrates and moisturises your skin.
- Lemon zest – The oils present in the zest of a lemon have various skin benefits. They are rich in vitamin C and citric acid. They are also antibacterial and will help to brighten and lighten your skin.
- lemon essential oil is optional but highly recommended as lemon essential oil helps to even out your skin tone.
How do you make a lemon sugar scrub?
This lemon sugar scrub comes together in a few minutes. Gather all your ingredients and combine them in a large bowl. If your coconut oil is solid at room temperature the scrub will harden. In this case you may choose to use an alternative oil like olive oil, sweet almond oil or jojoba oil.
This recipe makes enough for quite a few applications so store any leftovers in an airtight glass bottle.
How to use Lemon Sugar Scrub
The combination of sugar and baking soda provides gentle abrasion making this scrub suitable for both your body and face. I recommend using the scrub once per week.
I used lemon zest and lemon essential oil as opposed to lemon juice to prolong the shelf life of this product. If lemon juice is used the scrub will be more susceptible to mold.
When to use Lemon Sugar Scrub?
I recommend you use this lemon sugar scrub before bed or ample time before you plan on heading out. That’s because lemon increases your skins sensitivity to the sun, making it more prone to sunburn.
This DIY Lemon Sugar Scrub exfoliates and brightens skin, and smells truly delicious. Perfect for yourself or as a gift!
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try it out too.
Lemon Sugar Scrub
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup liquid coconut oil or olive oil or sweet almond oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1 -2 drops lemon essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a glass jar with tight fitting lid.