Last Updated on
This Jamaican Jerk Chicken is oven baked to perfection. Served alongside a delicious pineapple avocado salsa and rice it will take your tastebuds straight to Jamaica! Yeah Mon!
Think that to experience the culinary delight that is – jerk chicken – you have to get takeout or travel to Jamaica?
Stick with me as I show you to make an authentic, real food, from scratch Jamaican Jerk Chicken at home in your oven.
How do you make Jamaican jerk chicken in the oven?
Jamaican jerk chicken is traditionally made on the grill but really it could not be simpler to make in the oven.
- dry jerk seasoning rub
- orange juice or stock
- cast iron skillet – cooking the jerk chicken in a cast iron skillet makes this a one pan dish and gives the chicken a nice crispy exterior.
- Season the chicken with the jerk seasoning mix
- Sear the chicken on high heat
- Add the orange juice and place the skillet in the oven to finish off cooking
Did you know?
The ‘Jerk’ in Jamaican Jerk Chicken refers to the seasoning used to marinate the chicken. Not the individual preparing it … lol
So let’s put the jerk in jerk chicken and learn how to make an authentic jerk seasoning rub.
Jerk seasoning rub from scratch
I choose to make my jerk seasoning rub from scratch because that way I can control the ingredients. Store-bought mixes often contain MSG and tons of other additives which I avoid at all costs.
The ground spices needed
- Jamaican all spice – This is the key to an authentic Jerk seasoning.
- Cayenne pepper or smoked paprika for less heat
Add all the dried spices in a bowl and mix until combined. Store in an airtight glass jar.
This is the jerk seasoning rub recipe I have been using since the very first time I made jerk chicken and it’s the same mix I use in my Jerk Pork shanks recipe. The flavour is perfect for my family but you can turn down the heat by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper or by using smoked paprika instead. Make sure you get real Jamaican allspice it’s the key to an authentic Jerk seasoning.
What to serve with Jamaican Jerk Chicken
1)Pineapple Avocado Salsa
The sweet and tart flavours in the pineapple salsa perfectly complement the spicy chicken. This salsa is a real no brainer, just chop up the ingredients and put in a bowl.
I served this jamaican jerk chicken alongside wild rice. It’s a favorite of mine but traditionally jerk chicken is served with rice and peas.
3)Baked Plantain Fries
We love this dish in our home. Sometimes we even put on some reggae music as we eat for a real Jamaican experience and because we’re a bit corny..lol
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you know a friend who would enjoy a taste of the islands please share it with them.
Baked Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Ingredients for jerk chicken
- 1 whole butterflied chicken or 8 chicken pieces bone in
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or stock
Jerk seasoning rub
- 1 tablespoon ground Jamaican allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for pineapple salsa
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 avocado
- lime juice infused with jalapeno
- zest of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
Method for chicken
- Preheat oven to 400ºF / 200ºC
- Coat chicken completely with Jerk seasoning rub. Lay it on thick.
- Sear the chicken, skin side down very high heat. About 3 -5 minutes should suffice.
- Turn chicken over, add the orange juice or stock and place your skillet in the oven.
- Set the timer for 45 minutes. Add a bit more water or stock if needed during the cooking time.
Method for pineapple salsa
- Chop all ingredients and mix in a bowl.
- Give the salsa about one hour for all the ingredients to mingle and become BFFs. I chose to infuse the lime juice with a few slices of jalapeno. You can skip that step if you like.