This Jamaican Jerk Chicken is oven baked to perfection. Served alongside a delicious pineapple avocado salsa it will take your tastebuds straight to Jamaica! Yeah Mon!
After my husband and I resigned our jobs on cruise ships we moved to Hungary. Those first few months of ‘land’ life were exciting and challenging at the same time. Very often I would long for some of my favourite foods from our travels on cruise ships like this Jamaican jerk chicken.
Putting the jerk in Jerk Chicken : The ‘Jerk’ in Jamaican Jerk Chicken refers to the seasoning used to marinate the chicken. Not the individual preparing it … lol
So to make an authentic Jamaican jerk chicken you need to season the chicken with powdered jerk spices.
What spices are used in jerk chicken?
- Jamaican all spice – This is the key to an authentic Jerk seasoning.
- Cayenne Pepper or Scotch Bonnet Pepper if you can find it
This is the jerk seasoning I have been using since then, it’s the same mix I used in my Jerk Pork shanks recipe. It’s perfect for my family but you can turn down the heat by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper. Make sure you get real Jamaican allspice it’s the key to an authentic Jerk seasoning.
How do you make Jamaican jerk chicken in the oven?
Jamaican jerk chicken could not be simpler to make in the oven. Thanks to my trusty cast iron skillet this is yet another one pot dish.
- Season the chicken with the jerk seasoning mix.
- Sear the chicken on high heat.
- Add the orange juice and place the skillet in the oven to finish off cooking.
Pineapple Avocado Salsa
The sweet and tart flavours in the pineapple salsa perfectly complement the spicy chicken. This salsa is a real no brainer, just chop up the ingredients and put in a bowl.
Give the salsa about one hour for all the ingredients to mingle and become BFFs. I chose to infuse the lime juice with a few slices of jalapeno. You can skip that step if you like.
We love this dish in our home. Sometimes we even put on some reggae music as we eat for a real Jamaican experience and because we’re a bit corny..lol
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you know a friend who would enjoy a taste of the islands please share it with them.
I especially appreciate it when you PIN my images.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken and pineapple avocado salsa
Ingredients for chicken
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or stock
- 1 tablespoon ground Jamaican allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for pineapple salsa
- 1 cup pineapple
- lime juice infused with jalapeno
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- pinch of salt
Method for pineapple salsa
- Chop all ingredients and mix in a bowl.
Method for chicken
- Preheat oven to 400ºF / 200ºC
- Coat chicken completely with Jerk seasoning. Lay it on thick.
- Sear the chicken on both sides on very high heat. About 3 minutes on each side should suffice.
- When all sides are browned add the orange juice or stock and place your skillet in the oven.
- Set the timer for 45 minutes. Add a bit more water or stock if needed during the cooking time.