Last Updated on
This decadent Hazelnut Chocolate Zucchini Cake is chock full of wholesome ingredients like veggies, fruit and 100% whole grain gluten free flours. Who says you can’t have cake on a healthy diet?
When I say chocolate you say cake, chocolate … cake … chocolate … cake!
Hands up if you love dessert! I mean really, who doesn’t love dessert? I know I do. But you know what I don’t love?
The bloat and discomfort that usually comes with ‘regular’ dessert. So I started creating recipes that are made with real food ingredients and are actually nourishing so that I could eat dessert practically everyday if I wanted 😉
This particular Hazelnut Chocolate Zucchini Cake came about when we celebrated my daughter’s first birthday.
I wanted to create a SUPER healthy birthday cake for my little one. Specifically one that was gluten free and didn’t contain loads of sugar.
And while my first instinct told me carrot cake hubby he was like nah, chocolate please! According to my hubby it’s not dessert if it’s not chocolate! So chocolate it was.
Hazelnut Chocolate Zucchini Cake Ingredients
Whole grain gluten free flours like : Quinoa, Buckwheat, Brown Rice, along with 2 full servings of vegetables from the zucchini and apples PLUS healthy fats from nut butter means you really can enjoy this cake for breakfast if you like.
Hazelnuts fun facts (Source http://oregonhazelnuts.org )
- Hazelnuts are also known as “filberts.” Some speculate the name originated from “full beard,” which refers to the husk (or “beard”) that entirely covers the nut in some varieties. Others believe the name was derived from St. Philibert, as August 22 (a date that corresponds to the ripening of the earliest filberts in England) is dedicated to him.
- Hazelnut trees can produce until over 100 years of age.
- The hazelnut is unique in that it blooms and pollinates in the middle of winter. Wind carries the pollen from yellow catkins to a tiny red flower, where it stays dormant until June, when the nut begins to form.
- The nuts mature during the summer months, turning from green to shades of hazel nestled in a protective husk, and are harvested in late September or October after they have fallen to the ground.
Hazelnut Chocolate Zucchini Cake (gluten free, vegan)
- 2 flax eggs 6 tbsp water + 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup hazelnut butter or other nut butter like almond
- 2/3 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 medium sized golden apples peeled and cored
- 1 medium sized zucchini peeled, end chopped off
- ¾ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 shot brewed espresso optional
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre heat oven to 190C /375F
- Make your flax eggs by combining 6 tbsp water + 2 tbsp ground flax seeds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add all wet ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. Don’t forget the flax eggs!
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine.
- Pour the cake batter into a well greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until you can poke it with a skewer and it comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the pan.
Drizzle with melted dark chocolate and decorate with additional hazelnuts.