My dear readers here is the gluten-free flatbread recipe I promised you to go along with that delicious chicken saag.
This recipe came about by accident. One day I was mixing up a batch of pancakes and I decided to add a bit of psyllium husk powder to the mix. The pancakes turned out really bread like, which I suppose isn’t a disaster except I prefer my pancakes fluffy. I later perfected the fluffiest gluten-free pancakes you have ever eaten but kept that experiment in mind. Over time I tweaked the recipe a bit, playing around with different combinations of flours and that experiment has now evolved into this yummy gluten-free flatbread.
My family loves Indian cuisine. In fact my husband and I could probably eat curry everyday of the week. What makes a better partner for curry than basmati rice and flatbread? Roti, naan, chapati, paratha any kind of flatbread will do. If you’re gluten-free and love flatbread as much as I do then you really need to make these. They’re really easy to whip up. If you can make pancakes then you can make these gluten free flatbread. I fry them in my mini cast iron skillet. I just love that thing! It’s the perfect size for any single serving type dish. I fry pancakes, eggs, flatbreads etc in it resulting in the perfect size and shape every time!
Serve with your favourite curry!
Don’t miss another post! Sign up for my free eNewsletter and receive each new recipe straight in your inbox.
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try out the recipe too.
Gluten Free Flatbread
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 cup gluten free white rice flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour / starch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour / starch
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp whole psyllium husk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- Sift the garbanzo bean flour twice.
- Mix all the flours together with salt, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium husk powder and spices. Stir in yogurt and water and mix to form a soft batter.
- Heat a lightly oiled skillet or frying pan over medium high heat.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the skillet, using approximately 1/4 cup for each flatbread.
- Brown on both sides and serve hot.