Last Updated on
The babyccino (coffee free cappuccino for the kiddos) is a favourite with the little ones who want to be part of the coffee club and with parents who long for a few moments of peace while they enjoy their cup of java.
What is a Babyccino
A babyccino pronounced baby-chino, is essentially a Cappuccino minus the coffee. It’s a cupful of frothy milk goodness sometimes served with marshmallows and sprinkles.
When my little one was about 2 years old we had a playdate at a local cafe with a very good friend who was visiting Budapest. It was then I was introduced to the babyccino. My daughter loved it so much that I started making it at home.
How to make a Babyccino at home
Since the only ingredient you need to make a Babyccino is milk let’s make sure you get it right. You may use whatever type of milk you fancy, be it homemade nut milk or other but the one requirement is – it has to be frothy.
You will need
- A milk frother to froth the milk
- Sprinkles & marshmallows to make it more fun (optional)
4 ways to froth milk with and without a frother
Using a milk frother
Nespresso Aeroccino Plus Milk Frother – heats and froths milk
I know there are a lot of cheaper milk frothers out there but the Nespresso Aeroccino has many advantages over them.
- You can froth any type of milk with this frother, dairy and nut milk alike foam beautifully.
- It creates hot or cold froth in an instant
- The foam does not collapse as it sometimes does with with a steam wand.
- You can add a shot of pure vanilla extract to the milk before you froth it for tasty flavoured foam.
I just cannot recommend it more… By the way Nespresso isn’t paying me to say all this.. 😉
Froth milk without a milk frother using the following methods. You will need to heat up the milk on the stovetop or microwave before frothing.
- Handheld Milk Frother – Pour pre heated milk into your coffee mug, immerse frother in milk and whisk until frothy.
- Immersion blender – Pour pre heated milk into your coffee mug, immerse blender in milk and blend until frothy.
- French press – Pour pre heated milk into your french press and close the lid. Push down on the plunger about 20-30 times until the milk is frothy.
- Shake it till you make it – Pour pre heated milk into a glass jar, no more than halfway. Shake the jar vigorously until the milk is frothy.
Now that you know how to make a basic babyccino at home let’s level it up a bit for the mini foodies.
Place 2 blocks of 70% chocolate in the bottom of a microwave safe coffee cup and melt it in the microwave. Add your milk froth on top and serve. You could use chocolate syrup as well but those are usually full of sugar so I tend to avoid them.
Blueberry Lavender Babyccino
Place 2 tablespoons of Homemade Blueberry Lavender Syrup in the bottom of a coffee cup and add your milk froth on top. Serve.
Do you think your little ones would enjoy a Babyccino?
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try it out too.
- ½ cup milk of choice we like homemade nut Milk
- 1 tablespoon melted chocolate or chocolate syrup (for chocolate version)
- Froth milk using your milk frother
- For chocolate version – place 2 blocks of 70% chocolate in the bottom of a coffee cup and melt in the microwave.
- Pour frothed milk and foam into the cup
- Top with sprinkles