This Chocolate Skillet Brownie is dense, fudgy, gooey, chocolatey. All the things a brownie should be! It’s got the added bonus of being gluten free, refined sugar free, paleo and vegan!
When I lived in Trinidad my family and I would often go out to dine at Tony Roma’s restaurant. I think we chose that restaurant for one reason; their skillet brownie dessert. Oh my word that skillet brownie was just to die for.
WANT TO STOP FEEDING YOUR FAMILY TAKEOUT?
Join our community of natural minded moms and get
- The exact strategy I employed to get my family to eat healthier stat!
- 5 Healthy One Pot Dinner Recipes for busy weeknights.
Plus learn easy ways to become better organised in order to feed your family well and manage their health needs naturally even with a busy modern lifestyle.
Recently while dining out at our favourite American restaurant I spied a waiter taking what looked like a skillet brownie to another table. When I checked the dessert menu sure enough there it was. Just seeing that skillet brownie on the menu brought back so many wonderful memories I decided I must create a gluten free version of my old favourite.
Luckily I already owned this cute mini cast iron skillet. It’s perfect for this ‘single’ serving dessert.
Chocolate Skillet Brownie
From what I recalled of the skillet brownie it was dense, fudgy, gooey, chocolatey. All the things a brownie should be. I had seen many nut butter brownie recipes floating around on Pinterest so I decided to give this one a go as I felt that a flourless brownie was in order so, I adapted it making it egg free/vegan.
I am not vegan but I have a food sensitivity to eggs. When baking my go to egg replacer is a chia or flax egg. This time round I decided to use these 2 vegan egg substitutes, a mashed ripe banana for binding and a combination of oil, water and baking powder for leavening. Instead of water I used espresso because adding just a touch of coffee to baked chocolate goods works magic!
The banana lends sweetness without a banana flavour. I must say I am very pleased with my gluten free skillet brownie.
I garnished the skillet brownie with a couple scoops of coconut ice cream, chocolate syrup and shredded coconut.
It was really hard to photograph this brownie. I had to fight everything in me not to take a huge bite. After the photoshoot I cut myself a slice, sat down and counted my blessings that this was a perk of my job.
More Healthy Chocolate Desserts You May Also Enjoy
- 1 cup / 250g nut butter ( I’ve used homemade almond butter and peanut butter with success)
- ¼ cup / 60g maple syrup
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 2 tablespoons espresso or instant coffee (optional but really enhances the chocolate flavor)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup / 60g unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF / 150ºC
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk with a hand mixer.
- The batter will be extremely thick!
- Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a 6.5 inch cast iron skillet on stovetop.
- Place batter into the cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- The brownies will appear wet and gooey but the cast iron skillet retains heat for a very long time and brownies will continue to cook.
- Garnish with ice cream, chocolate syrup,