These banana muffins with coconut streusel topping make the perfect breakfast or snack. Make a double batch because they disappear fast!
Guys I’ve gone and done it. I’ve totally pimped out my original banana bread recipe with this coconut streusel topping. We have friends visiting from Hungary this week and it’s been great! When I invited them over for coffee and a playdate I knew I had to make a child friendly healthy snack. Muffins are a perfect fit for little hands so I decided to turn my banana bread recipe into muffins. Soon after that decision I felt that ‘plain’ banana muffins wasn’t going to be enough for my pals so I considered frosting the muffins or making a chocolate drizzle but then a lightbulb went off in my head and I thought why not a streusel topping?!
Your typical streusel topping is usually flour, oats, butter, sugar and some spices. I opted for coconut oil and coconut sugar to keep it low glycemic and since I was kind of on a coconut roll I threw in a couple tablespoons of unsweetened desiccated coconut and my oh my. One should not toot their own horn but TOOT TOOT! In the voice of Larry David I say these muffins are pretty, pretty good!
Please share this post to give your family and friends a chance to try out the recipe too.
Looking for more yummy muffins and bread? Be sure to check out my Pinterest board!
Follow Natural Fit Foodie’s board Eat Clean: Bread on Pinterest.
- ¾ cup / 68g oat flour
- 1 cup / 110g chestnut flour
- ½ cup / 55g almond meal
- 2 tablespoons Omega Seed Sprinkles
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon psyillium husk powder
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup / 120ml almond milk
- 4 dates
- 2 large over-ripe bananas
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxmeal plus 3 tablespoons hot water)
- ¼ cup / 40ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
- Pre heat oven to 350ºF / 175ºC
- Prepare flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon flaxmeal with 3 tablespoons hot water. Set aside
- Remove the seeds from dates and place them in the milk to soak
- Combine all the muffin dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Combine all muffin wet ingredients in a blender. Add the flax egg and dates with milk as well. Blend until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until combined.
- Spoon mixture into silicone muffin molds.
- Combine ingredients for the streusel topping.
- Scoop a tablespoon of streusel topping over each muffin.
- Place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the muffins to cool in molds for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove the muffins and place on a wire rack to cool completely before serving.